The members of our Democratic Party share certain core values and beliefs that lead us to confront issues that, when addressed, will strengthen our country and our economy while moving us closer toward the ideal of “liberty and justice for all.”
Each of our priorities is multi-faceted and includes:
AN ECONOMY THAT WORKS FOR ALL:
- Promote responsible economic development and diversification;
- Protect worker health and safety;
- Support the rights of workers to organize, bargain, enjoy a living wage, and retire with dignity and security;
- Guarantee a just transition for displaced workers;
- Shrink income inequality and defend fair and equitable tax policies.
PUBLIC HEALTH POLICIES THAT PROTECT OUR ENTIRE POPULATION:
- Acknowledge and mitigate the human causes and effects of climate change;
- Protect the environment to sustain population health;
- Guarantee universal access to healthcare, including substance abuse and behavioral treatment, medical cannabis, evidence-based approaches to stop the opioid epidemic, and access to a full range of reproductive healthcare (including but not limited to birth control, STI testing and treatment, lifesaving cancer screenings, and abortion care)
- Enhance gun safety and promote policies to prevent domestic terrorism.
SOCIAL POLICIES THAT PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE:
- Prioritize quality public education for every student;
- Promote affordable housing;
- End discrimination against women, ethnic and racial minorities, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community;
- Demand equal pay for equal work.
This list is a broad overview of our priorities, but it is by no means comprehensive. Ultimately, we adhere to the values and the policies contained within the platforms of the West Virginia Democratic Party and the national Democratic Party.